Re: [SystemSafety] Qualifying SW as "proven in use" [Measuring Software]

From: Steve Tockey < >
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:26:59 +0000

Martyn,

"most systems that use any COTS would be ruled out of safety-related applications."

As well they should be. If my safety depended on the quality of the software produced in Redmond, I'd be running in the opposite direction.

"We can't become an engineering profession in one step - but I'd like us to be clearly starting the journey."

I completely agree that it can't happen in one step. But maybe people aren't aware of how much work has already been done. The journey has started, IMHO.

From: Martyn Thomas <martyn_at_xxxxxx Date: Monday, July 1, 2013 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] Qualifying SW as "proven in use" [Measuring Software]

I agree. And I'd like to see COTS software supplied with a statement of complexity, against some standardised metric.

But it's a huge change you are asking for: most systems that use any COTS would be ruled out of safety-related applications.

We can't become an engineering profession in one step - but I'd like us to be clearly starting the journey.

Martyn