Re: [SystemSafety] Development of code for ASICs under IEC 61508

From: SPRIGGS, John J < >
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 07:47:56 +0000

In a previous job, I was advised by a Regulator that if I were to design a device using hardware techniques, e.g. describing it using NAND gates on a circuit diagram, then I should assure it as a piece of hardware, but if I were to design it using software techniques, e.g. describing it in VHDL, then I should assure it as if it were a piece of software.

John

From: systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx Sent: 02 July 2013 17:32
To: systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Subject: [SystemSafety] Development of code for ASICs under IEC 61508

Dear Colleagues

I have a question about code developed for ASICs under IEC 61508:2010. IEC 61508-2 specifies that an ASIC development life cycle shall be used and notes the similarity between the software and ASIC life cycles (7.1.3.1 Note 2). However, there is a concern that the standard's requirements for the ASIC life cycle appear to be less than those for software. For example, IEC 61508-3 specifies requirements for tools, including programming languages in para 7.4.4. On the other hand, IEC 61508-2 is less forthcoming on the issue of tools. It cross refers to para 7.4.4.2 of IEC 61508-3 in 7.8 the section on modification (7.8.2.3), and also mentions in Table B6 (normative) Use of tools that are proven in use (see 7.4.10) or validated; general computer aided development for all phases of the safety lifecycle.

Thus, should one interpret the standard along the lines that when one needs to certify an ASIC against IEC 61508-2, then it must also be the case that the ASIC code complies with IEC 61508-3 as well?

--

Kind regards

Martin Lloyd

Dr M H Lloyd CEng FIET

martin.farside_at_xxxxxx

Tel: +44(0)118 941 2728

Mobile: +44(0)786 697 6840

www.farsideresearch.co.uk<http://www.farsideresearch.co.uk>

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify our Help Desk at Email isproduction_at_xxxxxx immediately. You should not copy or use this email or attachment(s) for any purpose nor disclose their contents to any other person. NATS computer systems may be monitored and communications carried on them recorded, to secure the effective operation of the system. Please note that neither NATS nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses or any losses caused as a result of viruses and it is your responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email and any attachments. NATS means NATS (En Route) plc (company number: 4129273), NATS (Services) Ltd (company number 4129270), NATSNAV Ltd (company number: 4164590) or NATS Ltd (company number 3155567) or NATS Holdings Ltd (company number 4138218). All companies are registered in England and their registered office is at 4000 Parkway, Whiteley, Fareham, Hampshire, PO15 7FL.