Re: [SystemSafety] SIL ratings to be scrapped?

From: M Mencke < >
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:10:10 +0200

Regarding the high demand and low demand mode, it makes sense to apply these modes for some elements. However, in the railway standards, the concept of low demand is already not being considered. In EN 50129, the following is stated:

*“NOTE: In contrast to other standards the SIL table in this standard has only one column for*

*frequencies (formerly called high demand or continuous mode) and does not have a column for*

*failure probabilities on demand (formerly called demand mode). The reasons to restrict to one*

*mode are*

*· Less ambiguity in determination of SIL.*

*· All demand mode systems can be modelled as continuous mode systems.*

*· Continuous control and command signalling systems are clearly the majority in modern railway signalling applications.*

*The SIL table has been constructed taking into account other relevant international standards.”*

In my opinion, the existence of two different approaches to the application of the SIL concept, where one only considers high demand mode and the other considers both, contributes to the reasons why there are misunderstandings regarding the use of SIL. This is particularly true for engineers new to the industry or potential customers who consult the standard relevant to their sector in order to try to gain an understanding of the SIL concept.

Imagine a situation where a “newcomer” to the railway industry consults the railway standards for an overview of SILs, and their understanding of the SIL concept is gained based on the assumption that only one mode of operation is considered, the high demand mode. This engineer (or technician, manager, etc.) then decides that he would like to extend his knowledge and reads, for example, the IEC 61508 where the “high demand” and “low demand” modes are introduced. This does not appear to aid the reader in providing a clear explanation of the application of the concept. Your response may be “well, in that case the reader should read the available literature”, to gain an in-depth understanding. However, this may not always be possible, due to time constraints, etc., particularly in the case of a customer or a manager.

Additionally, even though the standard argues that continuous demand are the majority in modern railway signalling applications, as Peter just mentioned, passenger emergency braking systems on trains are meant to be used only occasionally. Given that only high demand mode is considered in the railway standards, should the railway standard definition of “high demand” then be applied for this type of system, or is it required to refer “back” to IEC 61508?...
Note: I write in Hiberno English. For example, words ending in the suffix “ing” preceded by “l” are spelled with a double “l” rather than a single "l", as in “signalling”, “modelling”.
Regards,
Myriam.

2013/8/22 Peter Bernard Ladkin <ladkin_at_xxxxxx