[SystemSafety] Risk Based Planning and Assessment - tank farms

Carl Sandom carl at isys-integrity.com
Tue Dec 18 11:12:07 CET 2012

Andy,

You're definitely not alone in your thinking. An interesting book on the
topic of risk assessment which is in agreement with your view is: The Black
Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nicholas Taleb. I presented a
paper at the Australian System Safety Conference in 2011 where I raised some
of the problems I have encountered relating to risk assessments, one problem
typically being an over reliance on 'expert judgement' (you can find the
paper at http://www.isys-integrity.com/Papers.htm if you're interested). In
my experience there is nearly always a need to improve the validity of
safety assurance (i.e. risk assessment) claims through the use of
meta-evidence (e.g.. present evidence about evidence to answer questions
such as: who made the expert judgements?, how competent were they to do so?
etc.).

Best Regards

Carl

Dr. Carl Sandom PhD CEng FIET MIEHF