[SystemSafety] Risk Based Planning and Assessment - tank farms

Dewi Daniels ddaniels at verocel.com
Wed Dec 19 12:32:13 CET 2012

I also enjoyed "Fooled by Randomness" and found it a very thought-provoking
book.  Another book in the same vein is "The (Mis)Behaviour of Markets" by
Hudson and Mandelbrot (yes, that Mandelbrot).

I think these books cast serious doubts on much of the probability modelling
that is done.  The problem is that if the normal distribution is misapplied
to a situation that would be better modelled by a power-law distribution, it
will still give very accurate predictions in most cases (those near the
mean), but will significantly underestimate the probability of a rare event
(power-law distributions have fatter tails).

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Managing Director | Verocel Limited
Direct Dial +44 1225 718912 | Mobile +44 7968 837742 | Email
ddaniels at verocel.com

Verocel Limited is a company registered in England and Wales. Company
number: 7407595. Registered office: Grangeside Business Support Centre, 129
Devizes Road, Hilperton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 7SZ

Black
> Swan quite repetetive. I prefer his earlier work, Fooled by Randomness, as
> far as I remember.
>
> Another take on rare but possible events is Lee Clarke's Worst Cases
> (Chicago U.P., 2006). He suggests ways of dealing with rare possibilities
with
> very high consequences, which seemed to be one of your main concerns.
>
> PBL
>
> --
> Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Faculty of Technology, University of
Bielefeld,