[SystemSafety] Fwd: extended deadline for the special issue on the foundations of safety science

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Dec 20 15:24:39 CET 2012

This call concerns the journal Safety Science.

As my recent blog post about TCAS hints, I don't agree with the politics/business model of the
publisher Elsevier. Indeed, Elsevier is the main publisher named in the critique of scientific
publishing that is now making the rounds internationally (in The Guardian in GB, for example), and
this critique is the main reason the British Government has announced a move to open publishing of
all HMG-supported science in GB (that is, most of it).

However, others may think differently and may wish to publish their papers. (At €31.50 a shot for
reprints, and university libraries like mine not subscribing, and a publisher's agreement that
doesn't allow you to put versions on your WWW site, the word "publishing" starts to seem somewhat
strained!)

PBL