[SystemSafety] QF 32 and the Airbus A380

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 04:15:37 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Just to add that in the A380, as in earlier Airbus aircraft, fuel is used
to control CoG via a trim tank in the tail. The objective is to increase
fuel efficiency.

However you do end up with an in flight longitudinal CoG that's 'unsafe'
for landing so you can either burn it, transfer it or dump it prior to
making an emergency landing.

All the above does require a working fuel transfer system, something QF32
obviously did not have. And does raise the question of whether trimming in
flight with fuel makes the fuel transfer system a critical flight control
system?

If your interested here's my tally of system damage on QF32 compiled from
contemporaneous sources.

http://msquair.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/qantas-flight-qf32-and-common-cause/

Matthew Squair

Sent from iPhone