[SystemSafety] FW: Invitation to Participate - Consumer Device Safety Standards

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Fri Oct 26 17:18:51 CEST 2012

Peter,
Good question. I can't claim to be the expert in this, this is just my
opinion. That said, ...

One thing is that OMG has a somewhat more streamlined consensus process
that what's typically encountered in ISO/IEC. OMG can reach consensus
sooner. And, given that OMG is some kind of recognized consensus body (I
don't know what the proper ISO term is), any consensus agreements that
come out of OMG can get on an ISO "fast track" process. OMG's CORBA
(Common Object Request Broker Architecture) and UML (Unified Modeling
Language) are ISO standards that were fast-tracked by this same process.
So whether or not the work originates in OMG or ISO/IEC, in the end it's
irrelevant because it can end up as an ISO/IEC standard either way.

One could also observe that by getting involved in this activity, OMG is
maintaining (or, attempting to?) its relevance as a consensus body...

-- steve