[SystemSafety] The Mailing List

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Oct 27 11:31:39 CEST 2012

Folks,

an update on arrangements. First, an answer to Peter's query

On 10/24/12 12:00 PM, peter.sheppard at uk.transport.bombardier.com wrote:
> In my very simple engineering view, the poll was for the "MAJORITY" to select "ONE OPTION".  This
> was the SCSC, so why is a "partnership" between SCSC and Bielefeld now being considered?

You'll have to ask Tim Kelly. I would say the "choice" he was offering didn't really exist -  Tom
and I and others in our organisations have only ever discussed cooperating to offer community
services. It's not the first time and I doubt it will be the last.

We, SCSC and RVS Bielefeld, wish to provide a liberal service, appropriately decoupled from any
special interests, consisting of a mailing list and archive on the York model from 19 May 1995 to 27
June 2012 (when the archive stops). Discussions between us have all been about technical matters,
mostly resilience, meaning, roughly, that the list+archive continues as seamlessly as possible when
one of the providers falls over. For example, the archive will be mirrored.

List participants are welcome to consider Tom and myself and Jan Sanders maintainers of this list. I
invite participants to contact any of us directly with any concerns. Notes to the list-maintainer
through the Mailman IDs go to Jan, who handles them directly or forwards as appropriate. We might
add a couple more people, involved already but not yet named, as explicit maintainers.

BTW, I guess I should point out that I now have (at least) two roles: PBL the list joint maintainer
and PBL the discussant. I consider them separate roles.

The archive is up and running, and has been for a while so we are moderately assured of some
stability, but not yet with a reasonable URL. That is planned to happen early next week.