[SystemSafety] Who applies risk acceptance principles - Part 2

RICQUE Bertrand (SAGEM DEFENSE SECURITE) bertrand.ricque at sagem.com
Thu Sep 20 14:30:57 CEST 2012

Hi Myriam,

your comment let me think that you assimilate "actual SIL" to a quantity that can be calculated, probably a probability.

But "required SIL" is not a probability. "Required SIL" means that a set of requirements applies. This set of requirements (381 in Ed1) covers five domains :

·         Project development

·         Avoidance of systematic errors in the hardware design through manadtory or recommended application of methods and techniques

·         Hardware fault tolerance through architectural constrainsts on the system design

·         Maximum acceptable probability of dangerous failure on demand or per hour

·         Avoidance of systematic errors software development through manadtory or recommended application of methods and techniques (up to 673 prescriptions)
Maximum PFD or PFH is only one among 381 requirements. Alas, this is often the single one widely discussed.

"Actual SIL" could rather be translated in "compliance to required SIL requirements". This cannot be calculated, only assessed.

Bertrand RICQUE
Program Manager, Optronics and Defense Division

T +33 (0)1 58 11 96 82
M +33 (0)6 87 47 84 64
23 avenue Carnot
91300 MASSY - FRANCE