[SystemSafety] Who applies risk acceptance principles - Part 2

Braband, Jens jens.braband at siemens.com
Fri Sep 21 09:23:06 CEST 2012

The report you quote is rather a justification of the work done by the ERA (and why they failed to propose a complete set of risk acceptance principles to the EU Commission).

Technically there are finally two proposals on the table: one was proposed by a dedicated taskforce (where I was member), which is believed by some railway operators as overly conservative, the other one was proposed by some operators (but not by all and was heavily opposed by some national safety authorities as setting too weak targets). So technically we have for all categories an upper and a lower bound, but unfortunately no consensus to put in an European regulation. However the work is continuing ....

In November there will be a (free) workshop in Gernany dealing with this and similar matters, see https://www.tu-braunschweig.de/ifev/veranstaltungen/sit/sit5 , if someone is interested

PS Note that this post expresses my personal expert opion and not necessarily the opinion of my employer or other stakeholders that I sometimes represent.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jens Braband

Siemens AG
Infrastructure & Cities Sector
Mobility and Logistics Division
Rail Automation
IC MOL RA R&D RI
Ackerstr. 22
38126 Braunschweig, Deutschland
Tel.: +49 531 226-3231
Fax: +49 531 226-4879
Mobil: +49 173 6062831
mailto:jens.braband at siemens.com

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Gerhard Cromme; Vorstand: Peter Löscher, Vorsitzender; Roland Busch, Brigitte Ederer, Klaus Helmrich, Joe Kaeser, Barbara Kux, Hermann Requardt, Siegfried Russwurm, Peter Y. Solmssen, Michael Süß; Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München, Deutschland; Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 23691322