[SystemSafety] QF 32 and the Airbus A380

Thomas Netter tnetter at ifi.uzh.ch
Wed Sep 26 11:48:34 CEST 2012

On 26.09.2012 02:46, Les Chambers wrote:
> He also says that
> the airframe was designed with the avionics system in mind. That is
> the airframe is less rigid, and therefore lighter, as the flight
> control system is designed to avoid stressful in-flight situations.
> As
> a professional sceptic I've got to ask, "Is this true?".

Dear Les,

This is probably true and, if I understand well, has been used by
Airbus since the A320's gust alleviation system.
Back in circa 1989, I attended a presentation by someone from British
Aerospace explaning how the gust alleviation system reduces stress on
the overall structure. This stress reduction enables structural weight
savings. The counterpart is that this also slightly reduces structural
rigidity and therefore induces a small increase in metal fatigue in some
areas. The control system includes a gust profile predictor.
Search "gust alleviation system".

Les: Please post to SystemSafety at Bielefeld only or more fatigue and
a general breakdown shall ensue.

-Thomas