[SystemSafety] Fwd: Re: New book

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Apr 15 16:13:29 CEST 2013

On 4/15/13 3:22 PM, SPRIGGS, John J wrote:
> Self-publish next time?

Given my experience, I can't say I would recommend it. (Not that my book was technically
self-published - the Impressum, namely legal responsibility for content, a requirement of German
law, lies with my group RVS at the Uni Bielefeld.)

Colleagues and organisations do not recognise book-length content on merit. They want not only an
ISBN but a recognised publisher. That is, for example, close to what the "rules" say concerning
putting manuscripts in bibliographies on any grant applications in Germany (they add: a signed
contract). (A young colleague preparing a grant application in 2011 for a consortium in which I was
involved claimed he could find "nothing I had published" in 2007-2011. There was of course a
subtext, but in many organisations there is some such subtext or other.)

As made clear by Nancy's and John's prices, it is possible to negotiate accessibility with some
publishers.