[SystemSafety] Spanish train crash

M Mencke menckem at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 12:16:33 CEST 2013

According to "La Voz de Galicia", the telephone call ended 11 seconds
before the train derailed. The driver activated the brakes 7 seconds before
the train derailed.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/galicia/2013/08/03/accidente-santiago-interventor-hizo-tres-llamadas-maquinista-durante-viaje/0003_201308G3P4991.htm

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/galicia/2013/08/03/accidente-santiago-maquinista-activo-freno-solo-siete-segundos-descarrilar/0003_201308G3P2991.htm

It has been indicated by several newspapers that the testimony you mention
regarding the phone call was not the same as the initial testimony given by
the driver nor by the inspector. I don't have access to the statements, but
I understand that both never mentioned the phone call until a number of
days later.

http://www.larazon.es/detalle_normal/noticias/3198913/diez-claves-para-entender-el-accidente

Some reports claim that the driver never mentioned the phone call because
he did not consider it relevant at the time, others claim that he said that
he did not mention it because he "did not want to involve anyone".

http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2013/07/30/actualidad/1375214971_232262.html

It seems that the document you mention was a map.

Some of the judicial transcription is available here (in Spanish):

http://politica.elpais.com/politica/2013/07/30/actualidad/1375220863_784508.html

Given the quantity of information sources, I would rather not draw any
conclusions at this time.

Any opinions expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or
opinions of my employer.

Regards,

Myriam