[SystemSafety] SIL ratings to be scrapped?

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Aug 22 11:35:54 CEST 2013

To back up Martin's caveat with other reasons:

I would not argue for scrapping "low-demand" on the sole basis it is inappropriately applied - I
think there need to be significantly more reasons than that.

Reactor SCRAM systems are only meant to be used occasionally. Similarly, passenger-emergency-braking
systems on trains.

System functions which are invoked occasionally tend to not work when invoked. Emergency slides on
commercial transport aircraft exits work as a rule-of-thumb about half the time, which is why the
emergency-evacuation certification test is performed with only half the available exits.

So for such systems and functions there need to be defined proof tests and a defined interval for
proof tests. And those intervals are dependent upon how often you think the demand for the function
is likely to arise.

You don't have such things as proof tests or associated intervals for continuously-operating
safety-relevant functions, such as fly-by-wire control systems or ETCS.

Now, I agree that such things as proof tests are not relevant for pure SW "elements" (to use the
61508 preferred terminology), but that SW mostly sits inside something which executes the function
and for which proof tests are relevant. How are you going to deal with these differences
appropriately if the standard scraps the distinction?

PBL