[SystemSafety] SIL ratings to be scrapped?

Braband, Jens jens.braband at siemens.com
Thu Aug 22 15:54:58 CEST 2013

This discussion on operation modes  has been extensively lead in the 90s and early 00s. I was chairing the CENELEC WG at that time that rewrote annex A of EN 50129. I think the problem is oversimplified here.

I would advise anyone really interested to go into the modeling details, e. g. as published by Prof. Sato in

Yoshimura, I., Sato, Y., Suyanma, K.: Safety Integrity Level Model for Safety-related Systems in Dynamic Demand State, Proceedings of the 2004 Asian Inter-national Workshop on Advanced Reliability Modeling (AIWARM 2004), Hiroshima, 577-584

We had a lot of discussions in this time, basically the same as in the 90s, and I also wrote a paper for Safecomp with colleagues from TÜV

Braband, J., vom Hövel, R. and Schäbe, H.: Probability of Failure on Demand - the Why and the How , in: Proc. SAFECOMP2009, Hamburg, 2009, 46-54

This sums up many discussions we had in the 90s when writing the EN 50129. These papers show that from a risk based perspective PFH and PFD are indeed two sides of the same coin and not so much different as suggested by IEC 61508. It explains also the reason why EN 50129 uses THR and NOT PFH. THR is an umbrella concept for both PFH and PFD and that is the main message.

Best regards

Jens Braband

PS I stated my personal technical opinion here, not necessarily that of my employer or any other organization.