[SystemSafety] Fwd: Measurement + Control

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Dec 11 19:27:53 CET 2013

I received this message from the publishing house Sage. They used to be known mostly for social-scince stuff, but recently took over PEP, who do/did the various parts of the Proceedings of the IMechE, and I suppose those for other engineering professional societies also.

Sage offers free access to  certain articles until Sunday, somif you're quick you can download the Buncefield article by Colin Howard, as I did. The Secretary of the German functional safety standards committee, Ingo Rolle, is interested in issue concerning Buncefield, and I sent it to him. He is on this list, as I seem to remember is Carl Sandom, who is convening the IEC project on human factors in functional safety. Ingo's comment speaks directly to HF issues.

[begin comment Ingo Rolle]

Thanks for this article, one of the few I read in full recently. The switching device for the high level alarm was replaced in 2004, prior to the accident, at that tank which was overfilled in 2005. I draw the conclusion that the change of switching principle in that device was a major contribution to the ill-fated sequence of events, although I didn't find a more explicit statement of the author on this.

[I agree with that conclusion. PBL]

Nevertheless, the scenario described of actions and efforts to replace the switch and amend the situation reminded me of my own experience as an engineer associated with process facilities. In my view such a situation [as occurred here] is the clear consequence of outsourcing of maintenance personnel. It is strange to make large investments, establish facilities on green field sites, and then leave such assets without people assigned to operate them and look after them properly. I think we are the first civilization to engage in such foolishness ("outsourcing"). Only people who know and understand  the facilities, have a close relation to them, know their colleagues and environment and have some time for that will track weaknesses, address them and keep the whole thing safe and well running.

One may outsource particular activities but the core management of maintenance must stay in the company or facility

Ingo Rolle

[end comment Ingo Rolle]

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, University of Bielefeld and Causalis Limited

Begin forwarded message: