[SystemSafety] Fwd: Measurement + Control

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Sun Dec 15 20:02:07 CET 2013

I agree with Nancy, of course, that safety engineering is a whole-life
activity not "after the fact or independently".

However, the regulators that I have experienced do need, expect and
require a structured explanation of why the "packaged up" evidence from
the safety engineering amounts to credible evidence that the
certification requirements for safety have been met.

I'm comfortable with that structured explanation being called a "safety
argument" or "safety case" and in my opinion such arguments are very
much part of safety engineering.

Martyn