[SystemSafety] Engineering depends on making arguments (was Re: Fwd: Measurement + Control)

C. Michael Holloway c.m.holloway at nasa.gov
Mon Dec 16 15:25:09 CET 2013

 > Engineering is not about making "arguments."

At one level, the statement is trivially true.  Engineering is (by
definition) about constructing practical products.  The desired end result
is, for example, a bridge, not the designs and analyses of the bridge.

But at another level, the statement is false.  Producing the desired end
product necessarily requires specification, design, analysis, and associated
activities.  These activities in turn necessarily produce results, which are
usually embodied in documents.  These documents necessarily contain many
arguments.  Some of these arguments may be explicit (for example,
calculations about the load that a particular truss must support).  Some of
these arguments may be implicit (for example, the implicit argument
underlying a decision to adopt a particular design as sufficiently safe based
on the results of a thorough hazard analysis).  Whether implicit or explicit,
arguments permeate every aspect of engineering.

Arguments are not the end product of engineering, as they are of philosophy.
But without arguments, there is no engineering.

--

C. Michael Holloway

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone. Give neither blame nor credit to my
employer for them.

//