[SystemSafety] Root Cause Analysis

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Feb 5 15:16:36 CET 2013

I have been involved in the IEC standardisation project for Root Cause Analysis, being undertaken by
TC56 WG3 (the project team designation is PT3.23) for those who want to look it up on www.iec.ch

I wrote some material, including
* a set of terms and definitions compatible as far as possible with the International
Electrotechnical Vocabulary (IEV, at www.electropedia.org , also IEC 60050)
* short descriptions (2-3pp) of four methods, Accimaps, MES, SOL and WBA, along with comments on
strengths and limitations

It appears at time of writing that this material will not be used. I think it could be useful to
others, so I put it all together on a paper on the RVS WWW site.

I just wrote a blog post at http://www.abnormaldistribution.org/2013/02/05/root-cause-analysis/
which references the paper, and also includes a list of what I think are the currently most-useful
methods in industrial use for root cause analysis for accidents and significant individual
incidents. (I distinguish this from root cause analysis for quality control, in which methods such
as "5 Why's" are thought to be helpful and Fishbone Diagrams are thought of as sophisticated; both
are useless for the analysis of complex individual incidents. Some methods such as WBA are used for
both.)

I'd be grateful for pointers to methods I have omitted. I would be even more grateful if people
would like to write short synopses in the form used in the paper for some of these methods! Then we
can put all the contributions on the WWW for people to read.