[SystemSafety] FW: Another runaway car

Robin Cook robin at cook0306.wanadoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 23:12:47 CET 2013

Hi,

I have had two driving experiences that are relevant:
1. A stuck throttle - I went through the options in my head, completed the
overtaking manoeuvre, switched off the engine and pulled in to the side.
2. 2 tons of Buick on hire in the USA where a stall (at low speed) gave the
only option of straightening both legs between the seat back and the (large)
brake pedal - the car was designed for power assisted brakes.
Both of these were with an engineer driving.

The example Peter brings to our attention is of a car that has been modified
for a disabled driver. Therefore it is more reliant than normal on power
assistance. I suspect that the driver was unaware of which systems would
remain available and which would not with the engine off and the police
would be unable to find this information in time (they talked to the
manufacturer but probably not the modifier).  The crash in a ditch at the
end suggests that the power steering failed during the non-powered rolling
time from 125mph once the engine stopped due to fuel starvation.

I was surprised several years ago at the lack of oversight on lorry
modifications in the UK. I was working on a modification for the MOD at the
time. Therefore I would not be surprised if the regulations governing the
modification of cars for disabled drivers included very little provision for
safety in the event of a system failure.

In addition, aircraft manuals include a section on what to do in various
emergency situations such a door open in flight or burst tyre. Also much
training time goes into engine stopping. I don't recall attention to similar
emergencies in car driver manuals or training. It is one thing for this
engineering community to consider what we would do but many drivers don't
have our engineering approach and background knowledge and have to deal with
the emergency in their own way.

Good marks to the driver for calling the police for help.

It will be interesting to see what the inquiry recommends. I suspect that
the infrequency of such incidents means that the cost of changes to driver
training or to regulation of vehicle modifications would be grossly
disproportionate to the benefit gained.

Best regards
Robin Cook