[SystemSafety] Qualifying SW as "proven in use" [Measuring Software]

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Mon Jul 1 19:04:58 CEST 2013

Steve

It would indeed be hard to make a strong safety  case for a system whose
software was "full of defects".

High cyclomatic complexity may make this more likely and if a regulator
wanted to insist on low complexity as a certification criterion I doubt
that few would complain. Simple is good - it reduces costs, in my
experience.

But if a regulator allowed low complexity as a /evidence/ for an
acceptably low defect density, as part of a safety case, then I'd have
strong reservations.  Let me put it this way: if there's serious money
to be made by developing a tool that inputs arbitrary software and
outputs software with low cyclomatic complexity, there won't be a
shortage of candidate tools - but safety won't improve. And if you have
a way to prove, reliably, that the output from such a tool is
functionally equivalent to the input, then that's a major breakthrough
and I'd like to discuss it further.

Martyn