[SystemSafety] FWD: NY Times on App Developers for cars

Chuck_Petras at selinc.com Chuck_Petras at selinc.com
Tue Jul 2 18:57:28 CEST 2013

Patrick observed that
> From what I've been hearing, the auto makers are becoming very sensitive
> to the issue of the quality of software in vehicles... due to
> the costs involved in a recall to take care of a software update.

I think the new car I've ordered will include WiFi, so it can update
itself from my home wireless network at night.

But in any event, the automakers are being offered other options as well.
Such as "BlackBerry Demonstrates New Mobile Computing Service for
Automakers : New ?Over-the-air? service delivers wireless software update
and management capabilities to automakers" <
http://press.blackberry.com/press/2013/blackberry-demonstrates-new-mobile-computing-service-for-automak.html

And of course, General Motors has their OnStar (cell phone based) service
built into all new vehicles.  Of course the real driver for vehicle
connectivity would seem to be <
http://www.edn.com/design/automotive/4416763/Reduce-warranty-costs-with-Cloud-based-analytics

It should be interesting as it plays out.  We all know how well automatic
updates have worked out for our personal computers...

Chuck Petras, PE**
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc
Pullman, WA  99163  USA
http://www.selinc.com

SEL Synchrophasors - A New View of the Power System <
https://www.selinc.com/synchrophasors/>

Making Electric Power Safer, More Reliable, and More Economical (R)

** Registered in Oregon.

systemsafety-bounces at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de wrote on 07/02/2013 09:37:47
AM:

> From: Steve Tockey <Steve.Tockey at construx.com>
> To: Patrick Graydon <patrick.graydon at gmail.com>,
> "systemsafety at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de" <systemsafety at techfak.uni-
> bielefeld.de>,
> Date: 07/02/2013 09:38 AM
> Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] FWD: NY Times on App Developers for cars
> Sent by: systemsafety-bounces at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
>

> Patrick,
> >From what I've been hearing, the auto makers are becoming very
sensitive
> to the issue of the quality of software in vehicles. Not so much because
> of what could happen in a single software defect-induced crash, but due
> the costs involved in a recall to take care of a software update.
>
> How much they are aware of and pay attention to the fact that there are
> better ways to do things remains to be seen...
>

> -- steve

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/technology/detroit-embracing-new-auto-tec

hnologies-seeks-app-builders.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0&adxnnl=1&hpw&adxnnlx=13