[SystemSafety] Development of code for ASICs under IEC 61508

Jensen, Martin Faurschou martin-faurschou.jensen at siemens.com
Thu Jul 4 08:43:52 CEST 2013

For my point of view, the problem with ASIC/FPGA development, using 61508, is that some people try to put it as either part-2 or part-3, where the real issue is how we handle a situation where it is in fact both. Formally this is easily handled, from the standard it is not a problem to comply to both part-2 and 3, but out in most companies it might be a complete new exercise to have projects running that needs this kind of detailed involvement from both hardware and software departments.

With best regards,
Martin Faurschou Jensen

Siemens A/S
Flow Instruments