[SystemSafety] Separating critical software modules from non-critical software modules

Gerry R Creech grcreech at ra.rockwell.com
Tue Jul 23 10:43:41 CEST 2013

Myriam,

The analysis of independence would also need to prove that any failure of
the SIL 0 software could not affect the operation of the safety software.

Since the none safety software does not have a systematic capability
rating, it must be assumed that the non safety software could do anything
(not just what the programmer has designed) and hence protection
mechanisms must be applied around the safety software.

For example, the memory used for the safety software would need to be
protected to ensure that it was not possible for the non safety software
to write into the safety area.
There would need to be measures to ensure that failure of the non safety
software could not take resources away from the safety software, for
example if the non safety software went into a loop the safety software
would still need to operate.

Best regards,

Gerry Creech

Web:    www.rockwellautomation.com