[SystemSafety] Research topics

GRAZEBROOK, Alvery N Alvery.Grazebrook at airbus.com
Fri Jul 26 11:06:45 CEST 2013

A bit late to the conversation ...

Extending Andy's suggestion on the Electricity Grid, it seems to me that

a)     quite a lot of work has been done on software correctness, and many people continue it

b)    as has been observed before, it's rarely the software that is dangerous - it's the things that the software controls.
Therefore I would be interested to see more work on the modelling of the physical system, and how to derive usable properties from it that the software correctness people can work with to prove. Ideally, this should link the intellectual effort that people usually already spend on the physical system producing physical simulation models to the formal properties to prove on the software. By physical simulation models, I mean models in tools such as Modelica, Simulink, ADAMS, LMS that represent the physical system your software is trying to control.

An interesting piece of the larger puzzle?

Cheers,
            Alvery

* these opinions are my own, not necessarily those of my employer. *