[SystemSafety] Swiss train crash

Peter Bishop pgb at adelard.com
Tue Jul 30 13:21:15 CEST 2013

Perhaps this cluster is not so surprising after all.

A quick check of past train accident rates
suggest 3-5 per year in Europe.
i.e. P_acc=  0.25 to 0.42 per month

So the prob of seeing 3 in a month are p_acc**3
i.e. 0.016 to 0.076

Or equivalently we expect to see a triple accident month
every ~ 1 to 6 years

Peter Bishop