[SystemSafety] Saying the Wrong Thing

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 08:25:59 CET 2013

Chris,

There's quite a body of literature on risk communication in
circumstances of high risk and low trust (such as Fukushima). And I
wish Sir John had read some of it, in fact I wish it was mandatory
reading for anyone who has to communicate in that sort of situation.

In this case he asserted a degree of accuracy in a response which was
unwarranted, and in doing so he broke one of the cardinal rules of
risk communication, never, ever lie. Leaving aside the ethics of that,
there's the pragmatic reason that it's about the easiest way to
destroy trust, and once trust is lost it's practically impossible to
regain. Trust is the primary discriminator in risk communication,
strangely.

I'd recommend the works of Dr Vince Covello for anyone further
interested in the subject.

Matthew Squair