[SystemSafety] The legacy of Chernobyl

Martyn Thomas martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk
Sat Mar 30 16:41:48 CET 2013

The Blackett Review of low probability high impact events
(http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/goscience/docs/b/12-519-blackett-review-high-impact-low-probability-risks.pdf)

says at one point

> The Chernobyl explosion in 1986 was a useful illustration of the need
> to account for public
> understanding and reaction in managing a crisis. Media coverage
> amplified fears about
> radiation and this is thought to have contributed to a sense of
> hopelessness in the
> population in the Ukraine and neighbouring countries. This in turn has
> been linked to high
> rates of alcoholism and smoking --- factors that have had a hugely
> bigger health impact than
> the radiation itself.

This is attributed to Peplow, M. 'Chernobyl's legacy', Nature 471,
562-565 (2011) | doi:10.1038/471562a

I'd welcome a link to a downloadable copy of this paper, if one is
available.

Martyn