[SystemSafety] FW: How safe is safe?

Loebl, Andy loeblas at ornl.gov
Thu May 30 17:14:13 CEST 2013

Well, I wanted to report back on my progress here.  I have purchased and read all the books and articles you have recommended to me.

 I have thus far read:
*       The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable<http://www.hotbooksale.com/p78057/The-Black-Swan-The-Impact-of-the-Highly-Improbable.html>
*       Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets<http://www.hotbooksale.com/p73304/Fooled-by-Randomness-The-Hidden-Role-of-Chance-in-Life-and-in-the-Markets.html>
*       The Black Swan: Second Edition: The Impact of the Highly Improbable: With a New Section: "On Robustness and Fragility"<http://www.hotbooksale.com/p3228213/The-Black-Swan-Second-Edition-The-Impact-of-the-Highly-Improbable-With-a-New-Section-On-Robustness-and-Fragility.html>
*

The (Mis)behavior of Markets:  A Fractal View of Risk, Ruin, and Reward,  Benoit Mandelbrot and Richard L. Hudson
Basic Books 2004
*       Worst Cases: Terror and Catastrophe in the Popular Imagination  By Lee Clarke, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2006
*       What's Wrong with the Numbers? A Questioning Look at Probabilistic Risk Assessment by Jack Crawford
*       "The Science and Superstition of Quantitative Risk Assessment, by A. Rae, J. McDermid and R. Alexander
My last 'summer reading' is Misconceptions of Risk.  This is a much more technical document and I am learning a lot of statistics (and re-learning a lot of course material I once went through) and will not be completed as quickly as any of the above.

I wanted to thank all of you for your input!  It helped me a lot.

andy