[SystemSafety] More on Bookout-Schwarz/Toyota

Andrew Rae andrew.rae at york.ac.uk
Mon Nov 11 11:05:44 CET 2013

Peter,
Thanks for finding and sharing these. Can I ask for an opinion from you and
others who have followed this, on the likely situation.

My understanding (as someone with no inside information, just following
press and academic opinion):

1) The reports of unintended acceleration follow the pattern of
socially-propogated concerns, making it possible, maybe probable, that
     there were no underlying unintended acceleration events caused by
software faults

2) None of the car models concerned had an independent recording device
allowing _other_ causes of the unintended acceleration to to be confirmed.

3) The NASA report found problems with the software, but none that they
thought were likely to be a cause of unintended accleration under the
circumstances of
 the set of accidents they looked at.

4) The Bookout trial evidence was heavily critical of the software, and
found plausible ways that unintended acceleration could be caused by the
software, but nothing directly linking these possibilities to the Bookout
events.

Is this a fair summary?

My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk
My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814