[SystemSafety] a discursion stimulated by recent discussions of alleged safety-critical software faults in automobile software

Andrew Rae andrew.rae at york.ac.uk
Mon Nov 11 15:51:06 CET 2013

Martyn,
You make a valid point. In my case there is a simple answer:

I want to tell the story to other people as a way of motivating and
reinforcing the lessons. In putting together a story, I
need to be concerned with factual accuracy. I also want to include the
accident, because whether I like it or not, it's a much more
compelling story when cars crash and people get hurt.

You're absolutely right that the lessons are there to be learnt regardless
of whether the software caused the accident or not.

Like you I work in England, and I definitely don't want to state or imply
causality where none exists. I can get around it a little by telling a
story about the court case rather than about the
accident, but this requires a lot of care, since just reporting someone
else's words can still be defamation, even if they said it in a
jurisdiction where it wasn't defamation.

(As the twitter cases indicated, even hypotheticals don't help if there is
an obvious real-world meaning from the context).

Drew

My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk
My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
University of York disclaimer: