[SystemSafety] a discursion stimulated by recent discussions of alleged safety-critical software faults in automobile software

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Mon Nov 11 20:49:06 CET 2013

Martyn wrote:
"But a man can dream and, if such a set of circumstances were ever to
arise, why would I care whether the bad software did actually cause the
accident?"

I, for one, would care if the damage of said accident happened to *me*...

My concern is that it's the sorry state of software development practices
that leads to these safety vulnerabilities (and the vast majority of those
other irritating defects) in the first place. As I've said before, the
practices needed to develop safety/mission critical software can--for the
most part--deliver high quality software at lower cost and shorter
schedule than 'standard practice'. These problems are a direct result of
the sloppy, immature, UNPROFESSIONAL approach that most dev groups take.
Doing the job right is not only easier, it's better, faster, and cheaper.
But, as we say in the US, 'it's like trying to push a rope uphill'.
Day-to-day amateur practitioners aren't going to care about doing a good
job until some obvious, high-profile disaster can be pinned directly on
the crappy level of standard practice.

Cheers,

-- steve