[SystemSafety] a discursion stimulated by recent discussions of alleged safety-critical software faults in automobile software

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Nov 12 10:25:52 CET 2013

On 11/12/13 9:49 AM, Nancy Leveson wrote:
> I'd like to suggest that mixing up engineering and law is a mistake.

To the contrary, you could barely do any engineering at all without a legal framework in which it
proceeds. You make a car. Somebody buys it, and uses it to run over the Head of Government, killing
her. The Government decides it's your fault for making and selling the car, and takes over your
company, distributing the proceeds amongst the Cabinet Ministers. Your company won't make or develop
another car, obviously.

I would suggest that the legal framework is why Germany, the US and Japan have car industries, and
Syria, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe don't.

> In addition, the legal definition of "cause" is not necessarily the same as the engineering
> definition of "cause."

For most engineering intents and purposes they are the same in most western countries, namely the
counterfactual sense.