[SystemSafety] a discursion stimulated by recent discussions of alleged safety-critical software faults in automobile software

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 00:59:16 CET 2013

Peter, another problem. Because Toyota don't (reliably) monitor and record
software faults they can't show that the software was not involved in any
future accident. As there now is evidence that it plausibly could, thanks
to Barr/Koopman, they have a significant legal hurdle to overcome in any
future defence. Were I the responsible GM, that'd be the barn door I'd be
trying to close.

Stephen as to the spaghetti code, I think an argument that the 'fix' to the
problem would require the complete refactoring of the code, so therefore we
need to make compromises, so therefore we accept the status quo is
something of a straw man.

Rather than focusing on untangling the spaghetti they could have done all
or any of the following:

1. Moved the fail safe functions out of task X (the 'spaghetti 'task).
2. Given the hardware watchdog actual teeth (a better version was
implemented for the Prius).
3. Fixed the monitor CPU function so that it didn't rely on a driver input
and truly fails safe (software logic change only).
4. Implemented run time stack monitoring (already in the 2005 Corolla's
Delphi chipset).

Toyota recognised the problem, to some degree, but it seems were
sidetracked into untangling the Gordian knot of their legacy code, rather
than identifying what could be (and fairly easily) actioned immediately.
Did all involved really, truly believe the code could fail and cause an
accident? And that they were accountable and responsible?

Regards,

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Peter Bernard Ladkin <
ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',

--
*Matthew Squair*
MIEAust CPEng