[SystemSafety] nuclear energy - disparate policies?

René Senden rene.senden at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 19:44:50 CEST 2013

Dear all,

Today I learned from BBC World News that the UK will be developing another
nuclear facility for the purpose of generating energy.
It was also said that UK’s PM indicated that (and I paraphrase).. “it will
be one of hopefully many to come”.
Although this hardly needs to be said on this list, please correct me
if/where (deemed) necessary. I pretty much typed this posting within
2 minutes after hearing the news

There have been quite different, at times even opposite, political
(re)considerations w.r.t. nuclear energy in the aftermath of the tragic
accident in Japan, which happened not so long ago. A very pronounced
difference in policy is, of course, Germany vs.. well.. most other
countries

Is it strictly a matter of (inter)national politics or do the different
national policies also reflect different opinions of the corresponding
(relevant) experts and  scientists serving those countries (whose expert
judgement I assume to influence the policies set out by the politicians they
advise) ?

I am very interested in your thoughts on this.

Rene