[SystemSafety] nuclear energy - disparate policies?

Mike Ellims michael.ellims at tesco.net
Tue Oct 29 15:04:33 CET 2013

Chris Hills wrote...

> Since then renewable and eco-friendly systems have been developed but
> are nothing like as efficient or effective and were once expected to be.

Do you have something to back that up or are you just stating an opinion?

For a young industry renewable seems to be doing very well, at least when
compared with the nuclear industry who's only reliable product seems to be
cost overruns and delays e.g. both EDF's two new plants in the EU (The
Finland plant is six years and 2 billion Euros over budget and possibly the
sixth most expensive structure ever built). The French reactor is doing a
little better e.g.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/jul/20/edf-french-nuclear-reactor-d
elays but it's an awfully big bet to assume they can get it right in the UK.
Mind you EDF aren't making the bet the UK taxpayer is.

The new Westinghouse Vogtle AP 1000 reactors in the USA have fared little
better being almost 1 billion dollars over budget and 21 months late.

You would think that after 60 years the nuclear industry would have worked
out how to build a reactor. However it seems they - unlike for example
solar, have a negative learning curve, e.g.
http://www.slideshare.net/myatom/costs-of-the-french-pwr

Also unless you haven't being paying attention, the French have decided that
the percentage of nuclear in there system should drop to no more than 50%,
being replaced by wind and solar.

> So do we want to cover the country with solar panels, wind farms (that
> are noisy and kill birds) and keep the coal, oil and gas systems?

Several denier popular memes going on here.
1. you don't have to cover the country with solar panels, a rough estimate
shows around 1% of the available surface area would produce the current UK
power usage, given that 2.3% (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096) of
the country is currently covered in building quite a large amount of the
required space can be roof mounted.

2. Wind farms are noisy: actually less noisy than any A road; should we ban
A roads?

3. Wind farms kill birds: in recent special edition of Avian Conservation
and Ecology, a papers estimated the number of birds killed by wind turbines
in Canada as 8 per year, a companion paper estimated the number of birds
killed by house cats (again in Canada) as being between 100 to 350 million
per year. The summary paper (A Synthesis of Human-related Avian Mortality in
Canada) of the research ranks wind turbines as 19th for total numbers killed
behind cats (feral and domestic [1&2]) power transmission line collision
[3], collisions with houses [4], collisions with road vehicles [5] and
agricultural pesticides [6].

So to answer your question about whether we want to cover the country with
solar panels and wind turbines the answer is, we don't have to, there is
space enough.