[SystemSafety] Automobile Safety-Critical Kit

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Oct 31 08:40:34 CET 2013

Folks,

Rod Chapman just asked if I had seen this:
http://www.edn.com/design/automotive/4423428/1/Toyota-s-killer-firmware--Bad-design-and-its-consequences?utm_source=High+Integrity+Systems+Newsletter&utm_campaign=20f7064d12-Toyota_ruling10_29_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_02ca0b18f2-20f7064d12-415490749

It seems to be pretty significant.

To me it is quite believable that code which does not have to be assessed by/for any regulator can
be as poorly designed as this code is asserted in this article to be. It looks as if what is
reported is a mix of Dependability1 and Dependability2 problems.

(Please notice that I am not making any statements about the actual code, which I have neither
inspected nor indeed seen, but about the statements made in this article. I haven't read the court
judgement or records, either.)