[SystemSafety] John Downer's "Disowning Fukushima"

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 06:53:03 CEST 2013

John's writing should be of interest to anyone on the list whose involved
in the management of technology risk. His research focus is on how
stakeholders in complex systems 'know' about such risks, and how well. I'd
also recommend his 'Watching the Watchmaker: Regulating the social in lieu
of the technical', it may change your opinion of how the FAA regulates air
safety. :)

   - http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/36538/1/Disspaper54.pdf

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Andrew Rae <andrew.rae at york.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A while ago Nancy sent around an interesting paper by John Downer from
> Bristol University.
> The paper looks at how people defend their own use of quantitative risk
> assessment in the wake
> of disasters which appear to present counter-evidence to the
> appropriateness of QRA.
>
> It's a great paper, which I recommend reading in its entirety. John agreed
> to be interviewed for the latest DisasterCast. You can download it as a
> podcast or listen directly from the website.
>
> Drew
>

> My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk
> My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
> University of York disclaimer: