[SystemSafety] ARRL: A Criterion for Composable Safety and Systems Engineering

Vincenzo De Florio vincenzo.deflorio at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 12:44:58 CEST 2013

Dear Madams, dear Sirs,

I'd like to draw your attention to the following paper: "ARRL: A Criterion
for Composable Safety and Systems Engineering", which will be presented at
the SASSUR (Next Generation of System Assurance Approaches for
Safety-Critical Systems)
workshop<http://conf.laas.fr/SAFECOMP2013/?q=node/26> of SAFECOMP2013
on 24th September in Toulouse, France. The paper is authored by Eric
Verhulst and Bernhard Sputh (Altreonic, Belgium), Jose Luis de la Vara (the
Simula Research Lab, Norway), and Vincenzo De Florio (University of
Antwerp, Belgium). The abstract is as follows:

"While safety engineering standards define rigorous and controllable
processes for system development, safety standards’ differences in distinct
domains are non-negligible. This paper focuses in particular on the
aviation,
automotive, and railway standards, all related to the transportation market.
Many are the reasons for the said differences, ranging from historical
reasons,
heuristic and established practices, and legal frameworks, but also from the
psychological perception of the safety risks. In particular we argue that
the
Safety Integrity Levels are not sufficient to be used as a top level
requirement
for developing a safety-critical system. We argue that Quality of Service
is a
more generic criterion that takes the trustworthiness as perceived by users
better
into account. In addition, safety engineering standards provide very little
guidance on how to compose safe systems from components, while this is the
established engineering practice. In this paper we develop a novel concept
called Assured Reliability and Resilience Level as a criterion that takes
the
industrial practice into account and show how it complements the Safety
Integrity Level concept."

Kind regards,
Vincenzo De Florio

--
Vincenzo De Florio
PATS Research Group, University of Antwerp & iMinds Research Institute
*New e-mail address*:                       vincenzo.deflorio at uantwerpen.be
(T) +32 3 265 3905                                               (F) +32 3
265 3777
(Twitter) https://twitter.com/EnzoDeFlorio                   (@EnzoDeFlorio)
(Gtalk) vincenzo.deflorio    (WWW) www.pats.ua.ac.be/vincenzo.deflorio