[SystemSafety] ARRL: A Criterion for Composable Safety and Systems Engineering

jean-louis Boulanger jean.louis.boulanger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 12:03:33 CEST 2013

2013/9/24 SPRIGGS, John J <John.SPRIGGS at nats.co.uk>

>  > A SIL level alone is not the top level safety requirement. ****
>
> It is worrying how often I come across people who are focused on their
> integrity level or assurance level to the exclusion of all else.

Yes some people or company are wrong, the SIL alone is not the top level
safety req but the SIL is related to some fear event and to some safety
analysis ...

But from customer/client relation, the client can request a SIL for the
product. In case of sub-contract the main customer can request a specific
SIL for the equipment and/or  for the product .... but normally the main
requirement should be : some safety requirement some THR, some fear event
and a proposition of SIL and during the study the sub-contractor need to
identify the SIL and verify that it's the same that input SIL

If your have a SIL objective you have some safety requirement link to some
risk

> ****
>
> Recently, for example, I was told by a supplier that they could not
> perform a required analysis because the ”SWAL” they were using did not
> provide the data needed for it.  The data were available but not listed as
> required for assurance in the EUROCONTROL development lifecycle, so they
> could not use them for assurance...****
>
> I was not assured.

Just a joke. I discuss with a ch... company and the question is :
 If you assess SIL2 the product my company developed, do you give me a
certificate that say "all the product my company will develop are SIL2"

Mr Jean-louis Boulanger