[SystemSafety] Fwd: Re: OpenSSL Bug

John Knight jck at virginia.edu
Thu Apr 10 23:31:02 CEST 2014

Perhaps we could request the assistance of the insurance industry.

There have been instances where insurance has been a useful weapon in
the security battle.  If I remember correctly, the CERT at the SEI has
ventured down that path.

Insurance against significance losses due to a security breach might be
expensive but probably less than the cost that organizations such as
Target are now facing.

Of course, insurance would not be issued unless a comprehensive audit
were performed.

When applying for insurance, the use of C would be treated as a
preexisting condition, and losses attributable to software written in C
would be excluded.

-- John