[SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

John Knight jck at virginia.edu
Mon Apr 14 16:20:19 CEST 2014

If you would like to see how bad things can be when using C, take a look
at this paper from Bell Labs about the 5ESS development, in particular
the "Logic Faults" section:

ftp://ftp.iks-jena.de/pub/mitarb/lutz/ada/Write_Valid_Code.pdf

Certainly, all of the faults that the paper notes could be avoided using
careful processes or be found by static analysis, either mechanical or
human inspection.

But, given current technology and our cumulative experience in 2014, one
has to wonder why an engineering artifact such as a safety- or
security-critical software system would be built by developers knee deep
in gasoline (petrol) with a team frantically searching for matches.

-- John