[SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

Nancy Leveson leveson.nancy8 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 16:22:04 CEST 2014

>>I have seen a fare few of these and they all suffer from poor
>>experimental design and small sample size.  The searched for effect
>>is given all the credit when a result goes in the desired direction
>>without any analysis of what other factors might have made this
>>happen.

As you give no references, I don't know what papers you are talking about.
But the ones by John Gannon and other respected researchers had appropriate
experimental design.  It is always easy to criticize the results of any
experiment. But do you have any experimental results you can cite that show
that these features are not error prone?

Nancy

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Derek M Jones <derek at knosof.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
> also occurs when third party libraries are used).
>
> Of course developers claim there is the one true way to do things.  If
> different developers would agree on the one true way the problem
> disappears.
>
> There is also the issue of what to do about runtime checks.  Code
> is surprisingly robust in the presence of minor infringements, it
> works as intended.  But if runtime checking is on an error gets raise.
> Having an error raised can cause more problems than ignoring the
> problem (the safety people on this list will know a lot more about this
> issue than me).
>
> So taken in totality it is not clear to me that strong typing is
> actually more cost effective on larger projects or projects
> where lots of third party code is used (which is now the common
> case for most projects).
>

>  my classes in the past. I think that not much is done on this topic by
>> academics and researchers anymore because there doesn't seem to be any
>> doubt about it.
>>
>> Nancy
>>
>> careful
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Derek M Jones <derek at knosof.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Peter,
>>>

>>>   There are people here who have defended the use of the programming

>>> Why pick on C?  All language have their problems.
>>>
>>> Facebook have been doing good stuff to improve the reliability of PHP:
>>> http://shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com/2014/03/24/
>>> hack-a-template-for-improving-code-reliability/
>>>

>>>   there are tools; there are reliable tools to check whether C programs

>>> There is no discontinuity that distinguishes weak/strong typing, it is
>>> a continuum.  Good luck reaching general agreement on where to draw
>>> the line.
>>>
>>> I have worked in languages that have stronger typing than C and
>>> seen plenty of code in those languages where developers have failed
>>> to use the strong typing facilities available to them.  Giving
>>> developers the tools does not mean they will use them (I am a fan
>>> of stronger typing than is available in C).
>>>
>>> Incidentally there is almost no empirical evidence for the benefits
>>> of using a language having stronger typing.  There are a few studies
>>> using students on really small problems.  Pointers to good studies
>>> welcome.
>>>

>>>   principles. Etc. AND THEY WERE NOT USED BY PEOPLE WHOM I HAVE UP TO NOW

>>> and you are surprised by this (again why pick on just C)?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Derek M. Jones                  tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
>>> Knowledge Software Ltd          blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com
>>> Software analysis               http://www.knosof.co.uk

>>> systemsafety at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
>>>

> --
> Derek M. Jones                  tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
> Knowledge Software Ltd          blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com

Prof. Nancy Leveson
Aeronautics and Astronautics and Engineering Systems
MIT, Room 33-334
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02142

Telephone: 617-258-0505