[SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Apr 14 22:56:44 CEST 2014

> On 14 Apr 2014, at 22:43, "Martin Pugh" <martin.pugh at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Comparing OpenSSL rev 1.0.1 f and g (fixed) .........
> This corrects an implementation error which didn't meet the requirement i.e. RFC6520 sec 4 as the comment says.

So you are saying that a specific requirement was unfulfilled by Rev 1.0.1f.

> All this argument about languages, type checking, array bounds checking etc is irrelevant in this particular instance.

How does that follow?

If the requirement would automatically have been fulfilled if a particular technology had been used, how can it follow that that technology is "irrelevant in this particular case"?

> I take my hat off to the open source community for their efforts.

Me too in general. But it's a problem that we can't seem to persuade them to use established high-reliability programming methods for code for which high reliability is essential.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, University of Bielefeld and Causalis Limited