[SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

Dewi Daniels ddaniels at verocel.com
Tue Apr 15 18:23:29 CEST 2014

Derek Jones sent me a private communication, but he has kindly agreed I can
respond to this list.

I wrote:

>> How about Andy German's paper on "Software Static Code Analysis

>> Lessons Learned"?

http://www.crosstalkonline.org/storage/issue-archives/2003/200311/200311-Ger
man.pdf

>> "Table 1 shows that the poorest language for safety-critical

>> applications is C with consistently high anomaly rates. The best

>> language found is SPARK (Ada), which consistently achieves one

>> anomaly per 250 software lines of code".

Derek replied:

> Thanks.  I have read this paper.

> It is difficult to read anything into the results because nothing is

> said about the usage (i.e., applications that are more heavily used

> are more likely to experience more faults) or about the testing

> investment that happened prior to release (obviously more testing

> means fewer faults in the field).

Andy German's paper reports on the results of conducting static code
analysis on the airborne software for the Lockheed C-130J between 1995 and
1996. This work was carried by Lloyd's Register and by Aerosystems. I worked
for Lloyd's Register at the time. The Lockheed C-130J was undergoing FAA
certification and the airborne software was therefore being developed to
DO-178B. As the launch customer, the UK Ministry of Defence required the
airborne software to be subjected to static code analysis in addition to the
DO-178B software development and verification process. We used the SPARK
Examiner for the C-130 mission computer software, which was written in
SPARK, and MALPAS for the remaining code (a mix of C, Ada, Pascal, PLM and
Lucol). Only the DO-178B Level A and Level B software was analysed.

The static analysis found a number of defects in the software. Andy German's
paper presents a number of interesting findings:

1. "When Level A was compared to Level B, no significant difference in
anomaly rates identified by static analysis was found".

2. "Table 1 shows that the poorest language for safety-critical applications
is C with consistently high anomaly rates. The best language found is SPARK
(Ada), which consistently achieves one anomaly per 250 software lines of
code".

3. "The average number of safety-critical anomalies found is a small
percentage of the overall anomalies found with about 1 percent identified as
having safety implications".

4. "Automatically generated code was found to have considerably reduced
syntactic and data flow errors".

I reproduce Table 1 below:

Software Language

Range

Software Lines of Code Per Anomaly

Anomalies Per Thousand Lines of Code

Worst

2

500

Average

6 - 38

167 - 26

Best (Auto Code Generated)

80

12.5

Pascal

Worst

6

167

Average/Best

20

50

PLM

Average

50

20

Ada

Worst

20

50

Average

40

25

Best (Auto Code Generated)

210

4.8

Lucol

Average

80

12.5

SPARK

Average

250

4

I also recollect that significant differences in anomaly rates were found
between the software produced by different vendors, though this is not
highlighted in Andy's paper.

I think these findings are very interesting and are worthy of further
investigation. However, I also believe there are a number of reasons why we
need to be careful not to read too much into the C-130J experience:

1. Due to schedule constraints, many software sub-systems were delivered for
static code analysis before they had been subjected to formal software
verification. We therefore do not know how many of the defects found by
static code analysis would have been found anyway by the DO-178B software
verification process. Some of the software baselines delivered for static
code analysis were very immature, so the number of defects found is not in
any way representative of the output of a DO-178B-compliant software
process. I personally helped conduct the static analysis of the software
sub-system with the highest anomaly rate (500 anomalies per 1000 lines of
code according to Table 1). Although it was supposedly developed to DO-178B
Level B, the code had clearly been subjected to only cursory review and
test. The design did not satisfy the requirements, and the code did not
satisfy the design. It would not have been signed-off by any DER in that
state. Indeed, I believe that this sub-system was rejected by Lockheed and
replaced with an alternate part from another vendor.

2. We counted all defects found, ranging from software defects that could
have resulted in a catastrophic failure condition to spelling mistakes in
supporting documentation. This accounts for the unusually high anomaly rates
quoted. For example, Table 1 shows that the anomaly rate for the mission
computer software, which was written in SPARK, was 4 anomalies per thousand
lines of code. The mission computer software was formally specified using
Parnas tables, coded in SPARK, and program proof conducted using the SPARK
Simplifier and SPADE Proof Checker. This is the same software process that
Praxis reported to result in defect rates of fewer than 1 anomaly per
thousand lines of code on other projects.

3. While a significant difference was found in the anomaly rates resulting
from the use of different programming languages, there was an even greater
difference between the anomaly rates discovered in software developed by
different vendors. While the average C program had a higher anomaly rate
than the average Ada program, the best C programs had a lower anomaly rate
than the worst Ada programs.

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Managing Director | Verocel Limited

Direct Dial +44 1225 718912 | Mobile +44 7968 837742 | Email
ddaniels at verocel.com

Verocel Limited is a company registered in England and Wales. Company
number: 7407595. Registered office: Grangeside Business Support Centre, 129
Devizes Road, Hilperton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 7SZ