[SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

Dewi Daniels ddaniels at verocel.com
Tue Apr 15 18:40:12 CEST 2014

Mike,

In the case of both the Heartbleed Bug and the Apple SSL vulnerability that
was reported earlier this year, I find it shocking how little verification
must have been carried out before the software was shipped and installed on
a very large number of web sites and mobile devices. In the safety-critical
world, we carry out extensive verification before a software intensive
system is cleared to enter service. In the case of OpenSSL, organisations
installed software that came with no warranty. The final cost of the
Heartbleed Bug could easily surpass the financial cost of an aircraft
accident. If it doesn't, we've been lucky this time.

I suggest that open source software licenses should be expanded to mandate
that open source software must be distributed with its verification
evidence, not just the source code. That way, potential users could assess
for themselves how well the software had been verified and be in a position
to carry out additional verification should that be necessary. After all,
the Agile Manifesto states "We have come to value *working* software over
comprehensive documentation".

Yours,

Dewi Daniels | Managing Director | Verocel Limited

Direct Dial +44 1225 718912 | Mobile +44 7968 837742 | Email
<mailto:ddaniels at verocel.com> ddaniels at verocel.com

Verocel Limited is a company registered in England and Wales. Company
number: 7407595. Registered office: Grangeside Business Support Centre, 129
Devizes Road, Hilperton, Trowbridge, United Kingdom BA14 7SZ