[SystemSafety] OpenSSL Bug

Chris Hills safetyyork at phaedsys.com
Thu Apr 17 08:38:29 CEST 2014

I agree with Todd   the biggest problem is the attitudes of the people.  We
have seen this with the development of Agile and people actually wanting to
use it for critical systems.

At one time we had Analysts and programmers.   Now the Analysts seem to have
gone and SW developers seem to thing SW is all about writing code. Whereas
on a SW project it should be 86% requirements and design and 15% coding and
unit test.

Until there is a sea change in the way the majority of software is developed
no change in processes will work.

BTW the process is fixed.... the V model works well but most don't have the
discipline to work to it.   BTW I talk to a LOT of developers from a LOT of
companies. I visit them all the time and see the same things repeated time
after time.

To be fair it is not all the programmers. Often middle and senior management
are looking for cheap, short cuts and "efficiencies". Then the problem is
the Programmers don't seem to be able to explain their own profession to
others to show why money needs to be spent or what appears to be expensive
time consuming steps are worth doing in the long run.   Then again for the
average British accountant "long term" is 3-6 months :-( .

Regards
 Chris