[SystemSafety] Article on 'Certifiable Trust' ; report on Autonomy Research

C. Michael Holloway c.m.holloway at nasa.gov
Tue Aug 12 20:27:32 CEST 2014

Greetings,

Some folks on this list may be interested in reading a recent article in
Aviation Week & Space Technology titled 'Certifiable Trust' Required to
Take Autonomous Systems Past 'Unmanned.':

http://goo.gl/bi6lf8

(full URL is
http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/certifiable-trust-required-take-autonomous-systems-past-unmanned)

I am curious what people think about the various statements made in the
article.

The US National Research Council recently completed a report on the same
general subject.  The report, titled "Autonomy Research for Civil
Aviation: Toward a New Era of Flight" is available here:
http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=18815

Downloading a free PDF copy requires registering or at least providing
an e-mail address.

If anyone has the time to read the report, I am curious what you think
about it.

--
*C. Michael Holloway*, Senior Research Engineer
Safety Critical Avionics Systems Branch, Research Directorate

The words in this message are mine alone; neither blame nor credit NASA
for them.