[SystemSafety] Therac-25 redux

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Mon Aug 18 03:30:43 CEST 2014

Thanks Peter

Vita brevis, ars longa.

I guess Hippocrates was right. In a single lifetime no one person will ever
accumulate the knowledge of what could go wrong in any domain; a single life
is too short. Collective eternal memory requires collaboration (across
generations, across millennia) and an accessible body of knowledge. Don't
say it can't be done, if Hippocrates (460 – 370 BCE) can still be quoted
today so can modern wisdom.
For the first time ever the web has made eternal collaborative memory
possible. When I published this book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com.au/How-Lucky-Was-Rex-Kimlin-ebook/dp/B008RKRXS2
... it occurred to me that it will never go "out of print"; the author, Rex
Kimlin is in his nineties and won't be with us for much longer. But the
thoughts of a man who risked his life 35 times with a 50 percent probability
of death will be with us for as long as Amazon exists (is Bezos immortal?).
The same is true for Harold Thimbleby's book (Press On). It looks great by
the way, anyone extolling the virtues of state engines for interactive
design has got to be a righteous dude.
Well written books on system safety are a great thing. But I think we need
to take publishing-what-could-go-wrong a step further. And that is to make
the kernels of wisdom present in all these books more accessible in an
abbreviated form, expressed as an ontology. For example, if pressed, I could
probably reduce this tome:
http://www.systemsengineeringblog.com/deus_ex_machina/ to and A4 page of
managerial bad behaviour patterns that lead to disaster; how to recognise
them; how to overcome.
Published on the Web this kind of thing would be invaluable to anyone doing
a hazard analysis. Ph.D. thesis material perhaps? How would you structure
such a thing? A wiki for disaster. How would you triumph over the guardians
of polite capitalism and move beyond the pettiness of "I won't divulge my
hazards in case someone steals my stuff." It seems a shame that the outcome
of collective memory loss and ignorance should be the death of innocents.
By the way, Caesar Augustus died 2000 years ago tomorrow (Tue 19 August).
We have him to thank for the month of August.
Let us not forget.
Cheers
Les